Having lost dietetics to busy lives and carelessness, many people are now desperately seeking new ways to maintain healthy bodies. Calcium is one of those essential substances any healthy body must have. Each day, adults need 1000-1200mgs of calcium to maintain strong bones, teeth, muscles, nerves and a healthy heart. Read on to learn more about calcium’s benefit to your body.
Foods that produce calcium
• Dairy products such as;
• Soy products
• Dark leafy greens such as broccoli
Calcium Carbonate or Calcium Citrate is the major calcium supplements. Calcium citrate is the most used and preferred; this is because of its ease of usage. Whereas calcium carbonate requires that food is taken along with its consumption, calcium citrate can be taken anytime with or without food.
Benefits of calcium
Whether obtained through supplements or food; best calcium will strengthen bones, teeth, muscles, and nerves. If Children take the required amount of calcium, they grow to their required height while in adults; calcium improves the Nerve signal transmission, blood vessel function and prevents blood clotting.
Some studies have shown that if taken with vitamin D-giving foods like canned salmon and egg yolk, calcium can prevent cancer.
Amount of calcium needed at each age
• 1-3 years 700 mg
• 4-8 years 1,000 mg
• 9-18 years 1,300 mg
• 19-50 years 1,000 mg
• 51-70 years 1,000 mg
• 71years and beyond-1,200 mg
Note: At a Doctors instruction, some people may need more calcium up to 1300mg per day
Side effects of Calcium supplements
• Calcium supplements are known to bring constipation especially if they find other medicines in the body.
• Calcium carbonate can cause a sharp rebound in the body. Calcium carbonate must be taken with food. If not, it will produce more acid, especially in ulcers patients. Such patients are advised to take calcium citrate instead.
• Adults can develop low bone mass which leads to osteoporosis
• If taken alongside magnesium, iron or zinc, these supplements won’t absorb